Re: Intro & Question
From: Dirk Herr-Hoyman (hoymanddanenet.org)
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 06:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
At Arboretum Cohousing, in Madison WI,
our prices are "typical for the neighborhood" that
we are in, which is an established area that's
close to campus (major university) and downtown.
We are right in the midst of sales and just starting
move in, so this date is current.
Our average price about $265,000 with a range
of $180,000 to $330,000 for our 40 homes.

I did do an analysis of affordability, using the same system
that HUD, our county, and city uses for determinations of
affordable housing.  This metric looks at both income and
housing prices in our county.  100 would be average.
We are at 128.  That roughly equates to it takes
income that's 28% higher than the norm for our area
for housing.

We do have 6 "affordable" homes, this is mandated
by the city for 15% of any new housing development.
These are at 70 or lower on the affordability scale.
For our 29 homes in new construction, it's 140.
For 9 existing homes, it's 108.

Sorry that I can't be at the conference this summer,
this would be an interesting presentation on just
the costs and prices. You'll just have to accept the
"reduced" version here :-)

While I don't have income data, I can characterize our
income demographics as ranging from lower to upper.
It would be clustered around upper middle, that is above
the average income for our city/county.  More or less
correlates to the house affordability metric.

BTW, we have just 3 homes left!!!
And we've sold 6 more than once, close to
that magic 110% sales mark :-)
Dunno about the rest of the condo market,
our sales are brisk!

--Dirk