Re: west TN co farm (Co-Farming)
From: Susan (smroelkecomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:04:44 -0700 (PDT)
Ideally I am looking for several individuals who want to live and work on a farm. Large families used to work farms - but I am finding many single people, or small families who can't afford a large amount of land, and can't physically do all the work..so if we use a cohousing model of community, with a farm theme. For example...10 family units with their own specialties....one family may want dairy cows, one may want fruit production, one chickens.... If they had their own place they would duplicate a barn, a truck, a tractor and so on...why not share some of these major expenses?
It will be complex - but I need to start somewhere.

Susan

Co-farming sounds very interesting.  Are you thinking organic?  Mono-crop
or diversified, like for farmer's markets?  Are you thinking of individual
plots plus a community one (like the private and common spaces of
cohousing)?  And cohousing is part of the idea, too, or not?

I am not in cohousing, and have mostly just been in discussions with
people wishing they were.  In those contexts, having a CSA (Community
Supported Agriculture--that is, a weekly produce share paid for by
subsciption) has been at the top of the wish list.   And the other thing
of course people talk about, is a huge garden for produce for the
community and private kitchens.

Maybe you could say more of the ways you see it as possibly being
organized.  What are your favorite ideas?

Joanne