Why I live in cohousing
From: Terri Hupfer (terriphch.org)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 08:59:31 -0700 (PDT)
I've lived in cohousing over 7 years, and this is the third time I've posted
this sort of list. I loved reading other's lists this week, and think that it's
useful for me to remind myself that even with all its frustrations and
challenges, living in community is a very positive choice for me and my family.

  1. My neighbor encourages me and our 7 year old daughters to go to the local
city council meeting to propose repairs to our little lane, something none of
us had ever done before.

  2. I share my backyard garden with another neighbor whose yard is small and
shaded, and we take turns pollinating the squash with a paintbrush.

  3. Our kids swim till 9 PM at night with a series of parents on the deck so
they get to swim as long as they like and none of us has to sit out there all
night, every night.

  4. I can call my neighbor from work to walk over to my daughter's school,
with dry clothes from his daughter when she has a mishap.

  5. I hate camping and my neighbor is taking my son and other boys on a
backpacking trip, which they are thrilled about.

  6. Never the best recycler in the world, my neighbors are a constant
encouragement to me to do just a little bit more.

  7. There is always someone to go on a walk with, ride bikes to the park, or
just sit on the porch with a cup of coffee.

  8. Six families share rides to our summer day camp program.

  9. Our yearly talent show welcomes everyone, from the beginner piano player
to the accomplished violinist.

  10. My children are safe, happy and appreciated here.

  Terri Hupfer
  Pleasant Hill Cohousing
  Bay Area, California