Re: Why I live in cohousing
From: Eris Weaver (eriserisweaver.info)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:10:27 -0700 (PDT)
> I've been reading these posts with interest, and as someone who has lived
in Tierra
> Nueva for our full ten years, I'm wondering how any of these lovely
neighborhood
> stories are simply because you live in cohousing?  All of the comments
I've read
> could be made about a thriving neighborhood or town or extended family,
where
> folks talk to one another, help each other out and play together well.
All of these
> things are not exclusive to cohousing.
>
> I'd like to hear some thoughts about something unique to living
specifically in
> cohousing that couldn't be found in a lively neighborhood or extended
family group.

I don't doubt that these things happen in SOME lively neighborhoods
SOMEwhere...I grew up in one (in LOS ANGELES, no less!) but have rarely
lived in one in my adult life.  In my most recent neighborhood, in 15 years
I got to know maybe TWO neighbors, superficially.  The only close-knit,
know-everybody living experience I've had as an adult was in a very
low-income trailer park.  (Hard not to know people when you can hear every
sneeze, cough, toilet flush, etc.!) When I moved up economically, I missed
it.  I came to cohousing in search of a way to live in non-sub-standard
housing - like my condo - with the kind of interaction I had in my trailer
park.

Eris

(who is getting MARRIED in our common house tonight, THANK YOU CALIFORNIA
SUPREME COURT!!!)

FrogSong  (Cotati, CA)
eris [at] erisweaver.info
707-338-8589