Re: Thank you from a new community!
From: Gerald Manata (gmanata2003yahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:13:33 -0700 (PDT)
     Frankly, as I read some of these posts, I becoming envious of what other
cohousing communities have and do and how people there relate to each other.
Unless these claim are exaggerated, I am seeing that there can be significant
differences between  cohousing complexes. I wonder what accounts for these
differences. How much does geography,for example, the local surrounding
politics and culture matter? Is it just "blind luck" as to what kind of people
just happen to join together that is the principle determiner as to the
"conservative" or "liberal" nature of the community? Does a complex where most
people are from outside the area, as opposed to one where most people are from
the target area and perhaps already know each together for years create a
measurable difference in the operation of a community? Have the older cohousing
complexes actually seen an evolution in attitudes, lifestyle, methods/rules of
interpersonal engagement-the community's subculture-in its
 members over the years? This would make an interesting research project.

G/P Looney-Burman <burloon [at] comcast.net> wrote:
Dear Cohousers,

I've been following the recent discussions with great interest (especially
the ones on common meals, children, why I live in cohousing, and more), and
I'm sure that others in our community are as well.  Thank you so much for
sharing your experience.  Our  Facilitation Committee is in the process of
creating policies for meals, pets, common house maintenance, and all the
rest that need to be put in place (at least as a starting point) to present
to our membership for review and consensus.  Fortunately, we're able to draw
upon the experience of other communities so that we're not having to
re-invent the wheel for each of these.

What has touched me most, however, has been the recent postings on why
people live in cohousing and what it means to them.  With each one, I'm
saying to myself, "Yes!" and "Yes!" and "Yes!"-these are the reasons I want
to be part of a cohousing community!

We'll start moving into Fresno Cohousing (La Querencia) in July, and, after
four years of planning, we can't wait!  We're a 28-household,
intergenerational community (McCamant and Durrett-designed!), which is the
first cohousing community in the Central Valley of California.  We are also
the first multi-family, residential community to qualify for the "Fresno
Green" sustainable building program!

We still have several vacant residences which we hope to have sold by the
time we've all moved in, so if you're contemplating a move to central
California (keep in mind that we have no floods, no earthquakes and no fires
in our part of California) and want to live in cohousing, visit our website
at www.fresnocohousing.org.  Better than that, come be part of our
community!

Thank you again.  I'll keep reading and learning.

Pat Looney-Burman