Re: Firearms Policy
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 06:13:53 -0700 (PDT)

Per,

This can be a contentious issue.

Eno Commons has a policy (actually it is in the covenants/bylaws)
which bans operative firearms.  Nine years ago, the process of
re-examining the policy was started by some prospective members who
owned guns and wanted to see whether we would change our policy to
allow them to join.

The issue was dropped because the prospective members who raised it
decided not to participate (they didn't feel welcomed) and a member had expressed her intent to block consensus.

It was brought up again last year as we have new neighbors who do
revolutionary war reenactments and have weapons from that period.  As
they had a musket but did not have the have powder for it, the musket
is not operable and cannot be fired, it was in compliance with our
policy.

Quoting Rob Sandelin, if you make a "house rule that says all cats
must wear pink booties, this house rule has the same legal standing as
any law passed by a government."  So your community could create a
policy regarding firearms the Supreme Court recent ruling
notwithstanding.

However, issues like this are what one member coined 'community
crack'.  There is no right answer, bridging differences is next to
impossible and has the community focusing on what separates us rather
than what can bring us together.

Avoid the issue if you can.

-Robert Heinich
  Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
  http://www.enocommons.org
  Durham, NC
  where this Saturday we are celebrating 10 years of living together.

Quoting Per Eisenman <per [at] arteverywhere.org>:

What have different communities done about  a firearms policy?  Can
anyone offer any advice or examples.
Thanks.
-Per Eisenman
Champlain Valley Cohousing