Re: Firearms Policy
From: balaji (balajiouraynet.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
The Utah Valley Commons, still in formation, has no policy on firearms,
and I would expect that if one develops it will simply mirror existing
state regulations.  It is unlikely that we would go further, and mandate
what someone can keep in his or her own house.  In this we may be the
exception in cohousing communities nationally.  We are, after all, Utahns,
and gun-ownership comes close to being a sacred entitlement.

Interestingly, in interviewing cohousers here and there (from India to
Ecuador, New Zealand to the United States) I find the most controversial
policy to be one regarding pets, not guns.  That's the one that seems to
get people's blood up.  For the record, the Utah Valley Commons has no
plans to regulate pet-ownership, either.  We have yet to decide, however,
on acceptable procedures for oxen and other draft animals.

With best wishes,

Charles Nuckolls
Utah Valley Commons
-- a cohousing community --
"The Sustainable Alternative to Suburban Sprawl"
www.utahvalleycommons.com