Re: chickens in cohousing
From: Cynthia Armistead (cyntechnomom.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 13:07:43 -0700 (PDT)
Bonnie Fergusson wrote:

      Even though it is practically unAmerican to think it, I now believe
Cohousing Communities would be better off (and their pets would be better off)
if there was a policy limiting the number of pets before move in.

When talking about pets, do you also address the issue of feral animals?

I used to visit East Lake Commons fairly regularly, and I was always greeted by a bunch of very friendly cats as soon as I got out of the parking area. Some would climb right up to ride on my shoulder! I'm a cat person, and I did encourage them by petting and talking to them, so I wasn't distressed at all. I asked whose cats they were, though, and was told that "everybody feeds them." A friend who lived there verified that many different people did keep food out, but as far as he could tell it was a growing colony of feral cats. Nobody took responsibility for taking the cats to the vet, or even trapping them to have them spayed/neutered. And the fleas! (I'm one of those people who are beloved by fleas and mosquitos--they'll swarm me and my daughter even if nobody else gets a single bite.)

I don't know if the feral cats are still there, but it's an issue I would have felt needed to be addressed by the community if I had lived there.

Namaste,
Cyn

--
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." Oscar Wilde
http://technomom.com/ - http://fibrantliving.com/