Re: firearm policy and chickens
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 06:25:36 -0700 (PDT)
Okay, Okay. Some of you have tidy and non-smelly chickens.

The chickens I'm familiar with have been in pens and hen houses in which chickens have been raised and sheltered for years -- in greater numbers than 17. I'm not sure how many, but enough to produce enough eggs to sell in a farm stand. That may be the difference. They certainly did smell and agricultural farmers I have known over the years avoided chickens.

On guns -- I was shocked to see toy guns, not just large serious looking water guns, but guns that shoot rubber darts and other things in our community. On thinking about it I remember a scene with my son who desperately wanted a toy gun. His father, a sometimes Quaker, was adamantly opposed. One day in tears, he said why does my sister get anything she wants and I don't get anything I want. I bought him a small water pistol and restricted it to target shooting. He was deliriously happy. It changed his whole demeanor, at least until he fancied fatigues which his father also apposed on the grounds that they made war-like dress a frivolous costume.

I am still uncomfortable seeing the boys shooting at each other sand would prefer this to be banned.

I was able to convince them that they should not carry the pistols and rifles that shoot harder things loaded and cocked around smaller children, even when pointed at the ground or the sky.

Then I remembered a warning that worked by my children about being careful crossing the street, going places they were not allowed to go, and later inviting other kids home when parents were not home -- there might be teenagers there and you never know what a teenager will do. Since they knew some pretty "dumb" teenagers, this worked.

So the convincing argument for the boys was that you never know what a small child will do, "What if a three year old ran up and tackled them around the knees and the gun went off? The rubber darts may be rubber but hitting a child's soft skull or temple or an eye could cause serious damage."

The logic of this may not have penetrated. They may have been only impressed by the sense of power that resulted from needing to protect small children and the knowledge that they were carrying potentially serious weapons. But that is important too.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC