Re: Work or Pay Systems - Authorization
From: OC611NGC (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:09:19 -0700 (PDT)
Our community has instituted an authorization policy. No task shall be recognized as legitimate unless authorized by an overseeing committee. It would be nice if we could informally do whatever needed doing. However, the desire for control of tasks by overseers has resulted in a reluctance on the part of individuals (especially me) to pitch in whenever there is a need or a problem.

Here is a partial list of tasks falling under this policy:
1. Miscellaneous cleaning of the common house (occasional sweeping and tidying up).
2. Cleaning the toilets on an as needed basis.
3. Checking the lightbulbs and changing burnt-out ones. If anyone does this without prior authorization they are subject to reprimand.
4. Plugging leaks in the drip irrigation system. Subject to reprimand.
5. Fixing leaky faucets.  Subject to reprimand.
5. Cleaning out clogged lawn sprinklers.  Subject to reprimand.
6. Landscape tasks such as trimming overgrown plants or repairing brown spots in the lawn. Subject to reprimand.

As a result of this policy, most people just watch leaks, dying lawns, and overgrown plants because, we know that we will be chastised if we lift a finger.

This way of having subcommittees of the HOA authorize and oversee everything in the common area is similar to the way standard condominium HOAs achieve upkeep of the property. It is opposite to what I envisioned as the way cohousing was supposed to work.

I think there is a middle ground, but it will require some creating thinking to make this happen.

Norm Gauss

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharon Villines" <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com>