Re: Senior Cohousing versus seniors in Mixed-Age Cohousing
From: VAN DEIST (vandeistmsn.com)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 05:14:57 -0700 (PDT)
I'm involved in promoting cohousing on the west coast of Florida.  Our group
started with the intention of developing an elder cohousing community, but we
soon realized that we were really more interested in an elder rich community
which would have a commitment to elders but would embrace younger members. We
defined our commitment to elders as the inclusion of a concierge program which
would be available to all members, financially supported by all members, but
which was expected to be primarily used by elders.  We intend to pattern this
concierge program after the Beacon Hill Project in Boston.  Although that
program exists to help members living at scattered sites in the community to
remain independent, it adapts well to the cohousing neighborhood model.     Van
Deist, Venice, Florida