Re: Senior Cohousing versus seniors in Mixed-Age Cohousing
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:21:33 -0700 (PDT)

I value the range of age and experience in our group and personally would not
want to live in a cohousing that was age limited. I have been gratified to see
my son and the other children in the community develop relationships with a
variety of adults in our community, including seniors.  The younger children in
the community quickly figured which adults enjoyed their company, and have
appointed themselves the greeters and watchers  of the group. We have 5
children in our community and 14 adults, including 3 people in their 60's and 2
in their fifties. I value the diversity in age and experience .
     I do not see a clear divide along the lines of age or childlessness/
having children in terms of work.  Several of our most active members have
small children, some of our seniors are so involved in a variety of wider
political and wider community activities that they are often unable to
participate in workdays, meetings and community maintenance.  When I hear
someone say that none of the parents are participating in community maintenance
activities,  or that elders are avoiding meals due to noise/chaos concerns, I
wonder if an effort has been made to address barriers.  Is there childcare for
young children during work parties/ meetings? Are older children
invited/included? Are children and children's issues, as well as seniors and
senior issues considered a vital part of the community, or an unpleasant issue
to be addressed?   If the community takes the time to find out what is going
on, and work on solutions together, it will
 usually come up with something that works better than what you get if the
responsibiilty is left solely to the person or people either considered to be
the problem , or to have the problem.  If one person is compleaining there are
probably several others witha  milder version of the same concern. Noise at
meals is an issue that comes up all over the place. Children (and adults)
respond well when gently and respectfully reminded them of community
agreements.  Those who prefer a quieter meal are more likely to come if they
see an effort being made to address their issues, and if it is done with
respect and consideration for all parties, no one is likely to be offended.
I would not want to deny cohousing to elders who prefer to live apart from
children, but I hope that many elders will continue to live in mixed age
communities. I will never forget the trouble my grandparents got into at their
senior mobile home park for allowing my aunt, a spring chicken of 51, to use
the hot tub unescorted.
Randa Johnson
New Brighton Cohousing
Aptos, CA

http://www.cohousing.org/cohousing-L/

End of Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 54, Issue 25