Re: Work or Pay Systems
From: David Mandel (dlmandelpacbell.net)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:01:05 -0700 (PDT)
    Nearly all the comments on this topic have correctly recognized that
residents have different physical abilities and time availabilities when it
comes to performing community work. True enough, and important to accept.
    But what's touted as an OK solution to the collective limitations -- just
hire someone to do the work -- utterly ignores the fact that residents also
have different levels of disposable income that they can afford for such
purposes. This is especially relevant when, rarely, a  cohousing community
adopts a real commitment to creating (as we did) and sustaining (as we haven't,
to my great disappointment) equal opportunity of membership for at least some
truly low-income households.
    In my view, it becomes particularly insidious when the discussion leads to
a policy of "work or pay" as an individual "choice," as if everyone truly has
the same degree of choice. The result in an economically diverse community can
easily devolve into a microcosmic class divide: Those who can easily pay a bit
more instead of contributing fully to community work, freely deciding that
other parts of their lives are just more important; vs. others who simply don't
have the cash and therefore must devote more hours to community work. Talk
about a formula for breeding resentment -- try overlaying this on that which
may already occur with differential work involvement among economic equals.
    I've been a bit out of the national cohousing loop, but my impression is
still that few communities really achieve much in the way of economic diversity
or affordability for low-income members, despite a lot of verbal support for
the idea. I realize it is truly difficult in our society where housing is a
commodity and affordable housing development is generally segregated, to the
extent it still exists.
     But perhaps this discussion can serve as a reminder also that if
affordability is achieved to some degree in creation of a community, it doesn't
stop being an issue. Our monthly fee is substantial, just to cover common
utilities, insurance, reserves and other necessary items. Making it larger to
pay for work that could be done by members may impose a much more significant
burden on some than on others, magnified many times when it's presented as an
individual choice.
David Mandel
Southside Park Cohousing, Sacramento

Joanie Connors <jvcphd [at] gmail.com> wrote:
Some comments on the sustainability issue for the work involved in
cohousing -

1. It is natural to experience a lack of energy for tasks when the community
is out of balance in power (lack of listening or respect), support (meeting
needs) or change dynamics (stuck in a rut). The same is true in work
settings and families - people don't want to work when they don't care and
they don't care when they feel they don't matter.

As Rachel and others have said, when you feel good, you want to contribute.
It feels invigorating to contribute when you are building something
important together, and seems less like work.

2. I keep hearing this assumption that cohousing should cut your workload
and make life easier. Where did that come from? Perhaps this is part of the
US individualist mindset (everything is here to meet my needs), or a
response to the insane level of busy-ness of our lives.

If individualism is the problem, then perhaps we need to value our
communities and their structures more. Think of the dearth of parental
involvement in schools and voter apathy. A matter of priorities.

I think it's important that children and teens contribute too, so they can
learn these values.

If busy-ness is the problem, then it's time to sit down and look at what you
can afford to cut out. I've found, like Rob, that cutting my load doesn't
seem to stop the world from turning. Many things get done without my
involvement (or wait till I have time), and I've become more balanced
between the work I do for my own needs and for community needs.

Of course the points about keeping the community workload moderate and
hiring out onerous tasks are extremely helpful.