Re: Work or Pay Systems
From: Raines Cohen (rc3-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:35:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Kay Argyle <kay.argyle [at] utah.edu> wrote:
> We estimated this spring that it would take a special assessment of $25 per
> month (or preferably a lump sum of $300) per household to hire sufficient
> labor to make the most visible portions of the property somewhat presentable
> for prospective buyers (an urgent concern, with at one point five units for
> sale)

So it sounds to me that the sellers of the units are the ones with the
greatest interest in getting the work done, and the ones who will
receive the most direct benefit (the money from selling the units).

If they weren't willing to voluntarily band together to chip in on
this very-small-in-the-big-picture marketing expense, then perhaps a
mandatory transfer fee collected upon resale could generate future
funds that could be borrowed against, for this sort of upkeep and
other activities like advertising and recruiting and new member
orientation.

There are all kinds of creative approaches that we, as communities,
can take to reach whatever higher levels of fairness or relaxation or
cleanliness or whatever values matter to us. Heck, you could even make
it a variable partial appreciation recapture, tied to the increase in
selling price from the purchase price, like ElderSpirit does.

Raines Cohen, Cohousing Coach http://www.CohousingCoach.com/
sending our sweetie Betsy Morris off to the DC area to give a talk
this Saturday at Blueberry Hill about Aging In Community on behalf of
Cohousing Collaborative for a new adult-centered community in
Gaithersburg, and then perhaps to visit some communities in North
Carolina during her travels. Lucy the cat will have to fill in while
she's gone.

at Berkeley (CA) Cohousing
where I just mowed the lawn but held off until just after my
one-year-old neighbor's birthday party so kids could run their bare
feet through the soft cool deep green.  And where another neighbor
raked as I mowed, making the "work" both social, fun, and voluntary. I
wouldn't WANT to do it if it was my JOB to do it... I ENJOY doing it
because I GET to do it.

East Bay Cohousing / Northern California Cohousing Regional Organizer
http://www.ebcoho.org/
Reminding interested seekers to register for the rare, affordable
North Bay cohousing carpool tour Aug. 9 with our partner Daily Acts.
And join us Aug 16-17 at the Solar Living Expo in Hopland, featuring
Simple Prosperity author Dave Wann and Finding Community
author/EcoVillage newsletter publisher Diana Leafe Christian, at a
booth cosponsored by
California's Leading Cohousing Developer, Cohousing Partners, with
Cohousing Coaches. And join our 600-person MeetUp if you want to find
out about upcoming opportunities that seem to be materializing in
Berkeley and Oakland, CA.