Re: Associate members of completed communities?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:22:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 31, 2008, at 1:32 PM, Rick Mockler wrote:

I am curious about the experience of "associate members" - people who live
outside the community but who have a special relationship, and who
participate in some meals and activities.

(You might search the archives for this since there have been previous discussions of this.)

When we moved in we planned to have associate members. We felt it would provide a service to the neighborhood.

Our lawyer said she would have to research this because we were incorporated as a condominium. If we were not an association of homeowners, what were we? Not a condominium. Would we be some sort of club? What we were would affect insurance, permits, etc.

She suggested we deal with all the issues we already had on our plates, like getting the buildings functioning, before we confronted this. 8 years later, we have not asked her to do the research. I would say we still have too much to deal with to begin dealing with more people.

The main things we planned to share were meals and the workshop. We haven't gotten a dependable regular meal program together for ourselves, and were unsuccessful in attracting anyone who wanted to help organize a workshop so we could even develop a plan. Lots of users, no organizers.

So it's a good idea, not so easy to pull off. A lot of work.

We do have guests of members at meals, some fairly regularly but it is in an invitation to guests basis. We also invite the neighborhood in to various events and hold events for neighborhood groups.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC