Re: Associate members of completed communities?
From: Larry Miller (larry.millercharter.net)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:50:29 -0700 (PDT)
"I am curious about the experience of "associate members" -  people who live
outside the community but who have a special relationship, and who
participate in some meals and activities."

Our experience has been somewhat similar to that of Sharon. We had associate
members before
occupancy and a few continued afterwards. All have since "faded away."  While
there are friends
of members in the larger community and they are always welcome at meals or
events, their
association is primarily with the member rather than the community.

We did sell 5 lots and we could have sold more. All the purchasers built on
them almost
immediately. However, these are not associates, they are full members. Their
dues are less
because they are not responsible for maintaining the condos, just the common
areas. Their
requested work contribution is also slightly less for the same reason. In all
other respects,
they have the same rights and obligations as any other member and their
community participation
is about the same as for the other members.  Lot ownership was built into the
CC&Rs and Bylaws.

I recommend that you not worry about how associates will be handled after move
in. If you wish
to sell lots, it's completely viable, but consider treating lot owners as full
members, not
associates.

Larry Miller
Oak Creek Commons