Re: tax and legal issues for common house usage
From: Larry Miller (larry.millercharter.net)
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 11:34:29 -0700 (PDT)
Rosemary said, "We have had some interest in charging for use of common
facilities
such as payment for events in the common house, lodging in the common
house, and use of laundry facilities.  How have other communities
handled the accounting for these types of income for tax purposes? "

We currently charge for laundry and treat it as taxable. However, we then
expense the
maintenance and warranty costs, and replacement reserves on the washers and
driers as well as
estimated gas and electric usage and we usually don't end up with a profit.

As far as charging for guest rooms or common house use, when we looked into it
here in
California, it appeared that we would be subject to all kinds of licensing and
regulatory
issues. One way around that is not to charge, but to have "suggested
donations." In California,
donations are not taxable, but you would need to check in your state.

In general, if you go the charging route, I believe you can estimate the
deductible expenses by
looking at the total common house expenses and using a fraction of them
corresponding to the
fraction of the usage that has been rented out. To be certain, you would need
professional
advice.

Larry Miller
Oak Creek Commons