Re: Consensus decision making
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:36:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:29 AM, Racheli Gai wrote:

I think that a high level of trust is a precondition for high level of
delegation

But what is trust? And what is it based on? Is it well placed? How is this measured?

Trust based on experience that a team or a person has made decisions or carried out responsibilities effectively in the past is what I call "trust."

I often hear people say they "trust" so-and-so when what they really mean is that they don't want to be bothered. Let someone else do it. This may be a perfectly effective decision but it isn't trust. It's lack of interest.

"Trust" is used by others to mean "Do it my way." If they are questioned, they respond, "You don't trust me."

My response is, "Well, no, I don't. There is no evidence that you can do this job or that you care about how it effects other people. It doesn't mean you can't do that, but you aren't giving me any assurances, much less evidence."

The downside to the concept of trust is that is used as a justification for bad delegation.

And as evidence of a pure soul, "I trust therefore I am kind and loving and good." They carry signs, I trust!

(You can tell how trusting I am this morning.)

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC