Average Turn Over
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 07:20:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 5, 2008, at 1:14 PM, Audrey Watson wrote:

continual education. Not only does our group evolve over the years (we
average about one new household a year, out of 30

This is an interesting number. I wonder how this compares to other communities?

Of 43 units we have had new owners 10 times in 8 years. One of those changes occurred this month (so those numbers are right up to date). Two people who bought units had previously been renters so they were known to us.

We have had new residents more often new owners. Three owners were in Europe or away for 3 years each. That resulted about 9 different sets of residents in those units. All but two sets of renters were active in the community.

One unit has changed owners 3 times. A professional manager of condos says that people in a condo unit sell to people just like themselves. If they weren't happy, the person they sell to won't be happy. That has fortunately not quite been true here -- it seems to be a case of successive approximations with each one being happier than the one before. Eventually, you get there.

I'm curious if the length of time a group is together before move-in affects the number of people who move out in the first few year. We were together a relatively short time, 3 years from very first meeting to move-in.

It's hard to say if that affected our moves because it is hard to say what prompts a move.

What as behind the "job opportunity." How actively did the person seek the new job because they were ready to move?

Another reason people have moved is new relationships with people who did not want to live in cohousing, in one instance because the new partner lived in another community.

My sense is that three were selling because the "fit" clearly wasn't good. They either didn't have any idea what they were getting into and what it would require, or their lifestyles were too different.

Has anyone else looked at this question?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC