Re: Consensus decision making
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 10:15:27 -0700 (PDT)
My impression is that at least some of this discussion is based on what I perceive as
misunderstanding of what "consensus" means.

To use Craig's cereal example below: For a person to say that they'll block the buying of community cereal because they don't personally eat cereal is an abuse of the consensus process. Blocking can't be simply a matter of one's personal preference. If the kind of "consensus" practiced by groups is of the kind which allows blocking
based on personal preference, then no wonder it doesn't work!

At Sonora Cohousing, Tucson, we used to have people block based
on personal preferences. After a workshop with CT Butler we worked on seriously tightening what we consider valid requirements for blocking. We also defined more closely our process of working on issues. It has not solved all of our problems, but it certainly
helped.

Racheli.