Re: Average Turn Over
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 13:26:01 -0700 (PDT)
On Songaia Turnover: We just sold our 2nd home since our 11/2000 move-in -
both tied to divorces. We only have 13 units. If we are going to do some
"systematic comparisons," then using some type of rate might be appropriate.
Since I don't mind making stuff up - until something better comes along -
how about if we put the number of units resold over the number of units
times the number of years since move-in? In the case of Songaia, that would
be 2/(13*8.75) = 1.8%. Does anyone know "the right" formula to use? I expect
there's some normal way of calculating a turn-over rate?

I recall that I used to have the idea that a lower turn-over rate is somehow
better than higher rates... I suspect this rate is highly impacted by the
broader turn-over for both the community's demographics and its location. I
don't have the specific data, but aren't younger people generally more
mobile (I certainly was very mobile between 18 and 30). Similarly, don't
people in more urban areas more more? I expect they have increased
opportunities for changing employment (I did). Many communities actively
seek more young people - so, are they also, perhaps unknowingly, asking for
higher turnover rates?

Because of my role with the association, I have learned about some
challenges for a few communities. Some situations, e.g. construction
defects, have directly led to high turn-overs, as some have fled the
problems. And Kay is exactly correct that some communities don't readily
talk about their problems... especially in highly public forums that are
exposed by search engines.