Re: Average Turn Over
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Larry Miller <larry.miller [at]
charter.net>wrote:

> I wonder if there is any such thing as a "norm." People in cohousing move
> or sell homes for a
> huge number of reasons, some of which relate to cohousing or their specific
> community and some
> don't.

"Norms" - or at least related stats - are intended to transcend the
specifics. They are used by academics, policy-makers, local zoning
officials, investors, marketers, etc. to make better decisions. All of the
specific issues connected to Oak Creek Commons' turnover would just give the
researcher specific factors to use should they be interested in that level
of granularity.

> If I had to guess, I would suggest that turnover in cohousing communities
> is similar to that in
> similar non-cohousing communities in nearby locations, at least more
> similar than to the
> experience of other cohousing groups.

I'm sure you are right that there are similar, shared factors with "local
communities" - I was trying to make that point.

My guess is that the turnover rate is significantly lower in cohousing. I've
heard a bunch of coho-knowledgeable folks state this as being true and I do
routinely state it as my belief, without hard data, in press interviews.

A real example is a small subdivision 100 feet from Songaia's property. It
has 20 new homes (1-2 years old) and according to county records, there have
been at least 4 resales (so, using the formula I shared, that's at least
4/20*2 = 10%, compared to Songaia's 1.8%. Of course this is an n (sample
size) of 1. Not much to go on. This is precisely why having solid research
would be of value to the movement when we attempt to affect decisions.