Re: Average Turn Over
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizverizon.net)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:36:20 -0700 (PDT)
This, plus an early comment that communicated to me, at least, that I shouldn't be interested in cohousing, because I'm not inclined to commit to living in one place for the rest of my life, brings up a question that I have.

Is stability actually critical to a sense of community?
I can see the possibility that six week rentals would limit our abilities to get to know each other. But is the only other healthy community option for us all to stay forever?

I haven't lived in cohousing yet (I move in sometime between Oct 1 and Nov 29!!!). But I spend a lot of time working on issues of community.. at work, in religious institutions, and in many other places along the way.

Some things I notice:
I live in a neighborhood with little or no turnover... certainly no more than 1 unit per year out of some 60 condos. And I know 3 households, total... not even the name of all the others.

Christian Churches that are primarily centered around immigrant populations create a strong sense of community very quickly, and become a support system and fictive family in a few weeks time. The population is extremely unstable... that is, people move in and out constantly.

Congregations that have had stable numbers for many years... say no new members in the last five years, often have great stability, great community, and a complete inability to see anyone outside the in- group, or even to be more than polite to a newcomer. So, while they've created community, they aren't, in my book, a very healthy community.

So I feel a presumption that stability of membership is a very important goal. But I'm not sure whether it is a valid presumption, in and of itself.

My very best "live in community" experience was in graduate school, where 1/3 of the population left every year, and a different 1/3 arrived.

But, as I said, I haven't lived in co-housing yet. Tell me more about what turn over discussions are meant to imply, and why low turn-over is important. And, I suppose, what my baby community should be doing to attend to this as we get ready to move in!
-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
PastorLiz [at] verizon.net
Mosaic Commons, part of Sawyerhill EcoVillage in Berlin MA
where we have market rate, and affordable units still available.
Won't you join us?
www.sawyerhill.org