Re: Earthquake/disaster insurance
From: Anne Fleck (soliannacablespeed.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 16:41:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,
Sorry, but I gotta pitch in here. I live at Jackson Place in Seattle. We are
on a fault line and a west-facing hill. The 6' diameter city water main runs
along our eastern edge - uphill from us. It is under so much pressure that
the water is running uphill at our point.

Admittedly, an unusual situation---- if that pipe breaks during an
earthquake we're toast but we're covered by our earthquake insurance. But if
it breaks for any other reason we'd have to have flood insurance to be
covered. I don't know if any of our members have that. The HOA doesn't.

I actually do know someone in Seattle who had their house flood from city
water pipes breaking during an earthquake. Also on a hill. And I know
someone who came home to 6" of sewage in his house when the pump failed on
the pipe - uphill from his house. Another story.

So it depends on the individual situation.

Thanks,,
Anne