Re: Earthquake/disaster insurance
From: dahako (
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:54:47 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry Norm. With respect, I disagree. In the US, flood insurance is subsidized. 
If you are anywhere near water or in an area that has had significan 
development since the flood maps were updated, or is prone to torrential rain 
events follow earth+baking drought, or has enough water on a regular basis that 
folks thought it would be good to have drainage installed, flood insurance is a 
decent idea. Check your homeowners policy, insurance companies exclude as many 
water related events as they possibly can.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Couousing
Silver Spring, MD
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: "OC611NGC" <normangauss [at]>

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 15:45:33 
To: Cohousing-L<cohousing-l [at]>
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Earthquake/disaster insurance


Your recommendation to get flood insurance only applies to communities whose 
development is on low-lying lands near streams or bodies of water.  If your 
development is built on a hill such as most buildings in San Francisco, 
flood insurance would be a waste of money.

My community's buildings are situated more than a hundred feet above the 
Salinas River in Paso Robles.  We have two drainageways flowing through our 
14 acres within deep arroyos at least 30 vertical feet above the maximum 
level of any flowing water.  Downhill from us there are large housing 
developments built on the banks of the Salinas River.  I would recommend 
flood insurance for them, but not for us.

Check with your local flood control district before spending any money on 
flood insurance.

Norm Gauss

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <dahako [at]>
To: <cohousing-l [at]>
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2008 13:56
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Earthquake/disaster insurance

> Hi-
> I cannot emphasize this enough: get flood insurance for homes and common 
> areas whether or not you are in a 100 year floodplain.? Floods are the 
> single most common disaster and they happen every year to people who never 
> thought they'd flood.? And your regular insurance does not cover floods in 
> the US.
> Get earthquake insurance if you are in a seismically active area.? Pay 
> attention to what you will need for deductibles.?
> Get replacement value homeowners or renters insurance. Make sure to 
> regularly (every couple of years) check on the value of your property 
> versus the cap on the replacement amount your insurer will pay. This goes 
> triple if you are a condo type multi-unit development or building rather 
> than simple single family.
> Build your buildings to deal with the issues likely in your area.? If you 
> may get high winds, get the right windows, building anchors, roof 
> construction, and garage doors.? Don't build in a 100 year? floodplain, it 
> is a sucker's bet given the current projected ocean level increases and 
> the increasing flukiness of the weather.
> If you are in a condo, talk about what people will do in case the building 
> suffers major or severe damage.? Condos are one of the most difficult 
> rebuilding challenges after a disaster unless all the members almost 
> instantly support the board so it can get a developer to do the 
> reconstruction quickly before the banks call the mortgages.
> Be smart.
> Jessie Handforth Kome
> Eastern Village Cohousing
> Silver Spring, Maryland
> And, once again, I am expressing my own opinions and in no way 
> representing my employer.
> _________________________________________________________________
> Cohousing-L mailing list -- Unsubscribe, archives and other info at:

Cohousing-L mailing list -- Unsubscribe, archives and other info at:

Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.