Re: Earthquake/disaster insurance
From: OC611NGC (
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:19:06 -0700 (PDT)
Perhaps you are confusing Flood Insurance with Water Damage Insurance.

See the following website:

Norm Gauss
----- Original Message ----- From: <dahako [at]>
To: "Cohousing-L" <cohousing-l [at]>
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2008 08:52
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Earthquake/disaster insurance


Sorry Norm. With respect, I disagree. In the US, flood insurance is subsidized. If you are anywhere near water or in an area that has had significan development since the flood maps were updated, or is prone to torrential rain events follow earth+baking drought, or has enough water on a regular basis that folks thought it would be good to have drainage installed, flood insurance is a decent idea. Check your homeowners policy, insurance companies exclude as many water related events as they possibly can.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Couousing
Silver Spring, MD
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: "OC611NGC" <normangauss [at]>

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 15:45:33
To: Cohousing-L<cohousing-l [at]>
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Earthquake/disaster insurance


Your recommendation to get flood insurance only applies to communities whose development is on low-lying lands near streams or bodies of water. If your
development is built on a hill such as most buildings in San Francisco,
flood insurance would be a waste of money.

My community's buildings are situated more than a hundred feet above the
Salinas River in Paso Robles. We have two drainageways flowing through our
14 acres within deep arroyos at least 30 vertical feet above the maximum
level of any flowing water.  Downhill from us there are large housing
developments built on the banks of the Salinas River.  I would recommend
flood insurance for them, but not for us.

Check with your local flood control district before spending any money on
flood insurance.

Norm Gauss

----- Original Message ----- From: <dahako [at]>
To: <cohousing-l [at]>
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2008 13:56
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Earthquake/disaster insurance


I cannot emphasize this enough: get flood insurance for homes and common
areas whether or not you are in a 100 year floodplain.? Floods are the
single most common disaster and they happen every year to people who never thought they'd flood.? And your regular insurance does not cover floods in
the US.

Get earthquake insurance if you are in a seismically active area.? Pay
attention to what you will need for deductibles.?

Get replacement value homeowners or renters insurance. Make sure to
regularly (every couple of years) check on the value of your property
versus the cap on the replacement amount your insurer will pay. This goes
triple if you are a condo type multi-unit development or building rather
than simple single family.

Build your buildings to deal with the issues likely in your area.? If you
may get high winds, get the right windows, building anchors, roof
construction, and garage doors.? Don't build in a 100 year? floodplain, it
is a sucker's bet given the current projected ocean level increases and
the increasing flukiness of the weather.

If you are in a condo, talk about what people will do in case the building
suffers major or severe damage.? Condos are one of the most difficult
rebuilding challenges after a disaster unless all the members almost
instantly support the board so it can get a developer to do the
reconstruction quickly before the banks call the mortgages.

Be smart.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
And, once again, I am expressing my own opinions and in no way
representing my employer.

Cohousing-L mailing list -- Unsubscribe, archives and other info at:

Cohousing-L mailing list -- Unsubscribe, archives and other info at:

Cohousing-L mailing list -- Unsubscribe, archives and other info at:

Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.