Re: Can anyone help the UK Cohousing Network?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:47:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 11, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Racheli Gai wrote:

In our case (Sonora Cohousing, Tucson), members were involved in the design, and some members were closely involved in checking on construction process as it happened. IMO this was very important: In many cases we were able to move decisions
in (what I consider to be) a better direction.  We also caught some
mistakes and got them corrected.

I agree with this. We did have oversight by professionals and amateur group members during construction as well as a design team that worked very hard, but it didn't always bring changes. What it did do was ensure that the written contract was followed as much as possible during construction. The architect/developer did not do the level of oversight that the project required.

The question was about Design so I responded to that. I related a story a few months ago about visiting a rental building and feeling very strange in it. What it I was feeling was familiarity. The units were very, very much like ours down to the cabinets, sinks, floors, etc., with no resident input. That's when I begin thinking twice about just how much residents influenced our design.

The CH is probably where design consultation is most effective.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC