|Re: Consensus decision making||<– Date –> <– Thread –>|
|From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)|
|Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:13:55 -0700 (PDT)|
On Aug 11, 2008, at 10:35 PM, John Faust wrote:
The reason for suggesting blocks/objections be grounded in thevision/mission/principles of the community is because these represent the basic agreements on what the community aspires to (vision/mission) and howit should go about it (principles).
A nicely worded presentation of the importance of group agreements. One way to phrase the above sentence would be to say that _consent_ must be grounded in the vision/mission/principles of the community. We talk a lot about what objections must be based on but very little about what consent must be based on.
There was a message that flew by yesterday that I lost about a book on consensus methods that showed that there were many definitions of consensus and thus one person's view was just one person's view.
What I'm attempting to do is not present "one person's view" but to question the concept of consensus. What is it? Why do we use it? Why is it so sacred in cohousing?
We spend an enormous amount of time discussing "blocks" as if they were important but almost none discussing consensus itself, as if we all knew what it was and why we use it.
I'm questioning the romantic notions of consensus that end in frustration and confusion and exclusion. What fundamentally is consensus decision-making? What result is it intended to accomplish?
Sharon ---- Sharon Villines Coauthor with John Buck of We the People Consenting to a Deeper Democracy A Guide to Sociocratic Principles and Methods ISBN: 9780979282706 http://www.sociocracy.info
- Re: Consensus decision making, (continued)
- Re: Consensus decision making Sharon Villines, August 11 2008
- Re: Consensus decision making Racheli Gai, August 11 2008
- Re: Consensus decision making Lyle Scheer, August 11 2008
- Re: Consensus decision making John Faust, August 11 2008
- Re: Consensus decision making Sharon Villines, August 12 2008
- Re: Consensus decision making Racheli Gai, August 12 2008
- Consensus and personal relatiionships Rob Sandelin, August 12 2008
- Re: Consensus decision making Matt Lawrence, August 11 2008
- Message not available
- Re: Consensus decision making Muriel Kranowski, August 11 2008
Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.