Re: Consensus decision making
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:12:43 -0700 (PDT)
We spend a lot of time discussing blocks because that's where people get stuck
when they don't use the process the right way.
To me, the hardest part about consensus is that very few of us come to cohousing with good understanding of consensus, or of working cooperatively to reach decisions. Our dominant culture is incredibly competitive, and much of it hierarchical. So, the change to working by consensus is a major paradigm change, and bound to be difficult. IMO most groups don't get enough training to begin with, so they are off to a very rocky start. Often the process gets misused, which contributes to erosion in levels of trust, and the creation of a large pool of resentment etc. - All of this makes the possibility of using
consensus well even more remote.

The fact that working by consensus is hard doesn't mean, to me, that it's not something
worth learning and getting good at.
Also, I think that a lot of the discussions on this list are about problems: People don't have the urge to write when things go well... This doesn't mean that everything in cohousing is problematic, and no good stuff exists. This is also true of the use of consensus - people don't often write to tell the rest of us how well it worked for them
in resolving this or that problem...

Racheli.