VACANCY RATE POLL - Is Cohousing Overbuilt?
From: Kristen Simmons (simmonskristengmail.com)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:23:49 -0700 (PDT)
I've been reading these emails with interest!

As has been said before, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! Cohousing is
certainly not overbuilt here in the Boston area. When resales come up in the
three local existing cohousing communities, they turn over VERY quickly. I
suspect that is one reason that there is so much interest in the two groups
that are now forming in the Boston area - Stony Brook Cohousing and Common
Hearth Cohousing. There is simply not enough cohousing here for the people
who want it. Additionally, the Boston real estate market remains
comparatively strong compared to the rest of the country, although I don't
know if this is relevant.

For me, as for many, the desire to live in cohousing is balanced by other
strong needs - work, family, geographic preferences, etc. I decided that it
would be easier to create cohousing here than to relocate to an existing
community elsewhere. Frankly, moving would have been quicker and less work.
;-) But I'm very happy with my cohousing community, and I wouldn't change a
thing.

Kristen
Stony Brook Cohousing
www.stonybrookcohousing.org