Re: VACANCY RATE POLL - Is Cohousing Overbuilt?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:38:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 13, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Kristen Simmons wrote:

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

As it is in all real estate. People have only so much geographic flexibility in their lives.

I think the other factor is home price. I'm thinking there must be households within a range of income that is attracted to cohousing for the lifestyle but that also needs the amenities. The middle class (however you define it) that cannot afford individually to provide party facilities, playgrounds, etc.

While I think the cost savings of daily life is overrated in cohousing unless you really work at group buying and meal programs, I do think there are amenities that many would not have otherwise -- the CH for entertaining and recreation, playgrounds, proximity to family-like relationships, etc.

In some income-levels households could readily provide these themselves, even the family relationships. They just move family close by or join clubs, etc.

I'm very interested to see some low income communities develop. There are intentional communities where people can live off the grid very inexpensively, but cohousing communities are still out of reach for many. The Katrina Cottages and other pre-fab small houses are lovely if a group could find the right location.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC