Re: Thanks to Everyone for Your Help
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:02:08 -0700 (PDT)
Victoria, its great that you figured this out about your community quest.

I agree that Cohousing is not for everybody - besides there are not enough
Cohousing communities for everybody yet (grin).

In contrast to income-sharing communities, Cohousing allows private
investments to accumulate in the form of both financial and social equity
for those who choose and are able to make these investments. This offers far
greater independence from the financial decisions and resources of others in
ones community than in the more radical experiments involving
income-sharing.

In my case, all my neighbors and my family have the freedom to make our own,
private decisions about both our family expenses, capital investments, and
income. This allows greater diversity about the choices people make about
their lives... something that appears more limited in the income-sharing
communities which I've studied (Twin Oaks, Sandhill Farm, Emma Goldman
Finishing School, East Wind). In those cases, higher levels of community
agreement and engagement is required for many decisions involving income and
costs.

I have a lot of admiration for the pioneers exploring income-sharing
communities. As those of us in "marital communities" know, decisions around
sharing all income and most costs can be challenging - extending that to
many more people appears quite daunting to me. Combining your community life
with your financial life would add a LOT more social overhead. I don't
believe this kind of intensity in my community life would work well for me.
I embrace and enjoy the diverse choices that my neighbors have explored, but
I am quite thankful that my family's financial life has not been tied to
their decisions, or that I've not generally been in helping them make these
decisions. I think its great that individuals can freely try stuff that may
or may not work out - without a lot of process or involvement by many others
with a personal stake in the decisions. If individuals want that, they can
reach out to their neighbors as they choose.

Enjoy your quest,

Craig