Re: Cohousing Communities after move-in: A "honeymoon" phase?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:44:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 15, 2008, at 12:57 PM, Craig Ragland wrote:

Common folk-knowledge, at least what some say "authoritatively," is that a great many cohousing communities "turn-in on themselves" after move- in.

No. I think what was said was that communities become less diverse because the people moving in tend to be friends of the community or people who are attracted to the current community. Before move-in, people join based on their own vision of what they think cohousing is. Over time the people who are not comfortable move out. No one moves in who is not comfortable with what they see.

That
those communities who build all-at-once - and are completely full (or "sold out") - stop the outreach/marketing required for recruitment and then focus
on building their community as residents.

No. We have regular orientations, once a month, I think. We have constant inquiries. And we have turn-over of units as well, so we keep a waiting list. We have one person who is particularly interested in doing this but I think someone else would do it if he didn't.

I've heard this referred to as a "honeymoon
phase" where the group settles down and "nests."

For us two phases overlapped. From the beginning people had many relationships outside the community and brought them into the community for dinners, etc. Basically these were sightseeing tours and /or reassurances for friends and family that this was a safe place. These waned after two years or so, but new residents go through this for a year or so.

Over time, we became more connected to the larger neighborhood, especially when we had more children and they started school. This was a new neighborhood for all of us initially so it took time to connect on a deeper level. I would say we are now as fully integrated into the neighborhood and local politics and culture as any of our other neighbors.

We moved in from Nov 2000 through Feb of 2001, I think. I was in the Nov group and don't remember how long it took the others to move in. We were two phases with delays along the way.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC