Re: Cohousing Communities after move-in: A "honeymoon" phase?
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:54:59 -0700 (PDT)
Ahh... thanks (again) to Sharon for helping me clarify my thinking. Sharon,
this is unrelated, at least in my mind, to past postings on Coho-L... I'm
seeking new input on this common belief - its interesting to hear that you
didn't experience this at Takoma Village, but that doesn't make it any less
true for some of the 112 other cohousing communities. Maybe this idea is
just something that a few vocal people have passionately shared, but I've
heard it too many times in too many settings to challenge the idea as
folk-knowledge.

As I didn't adequately communicate, communities with more than one
development phase have an economic interest in ongoing outreach, if only for
marketing purposes to complete your neighborhood and minimize the economic
impact of unsold homes. This may or may not be independent from broader
values around community outreach. I personally applaud all efforts to create
connections to your immediate neighborhood (and how this supports the
broader Cohousing Movement!). Significant turn-over also means that more
outreach serves your community's self-interest...

If others could share on this in the coming days it would be great... I feel
this is an important idea. I need to address this as I seek to serve some of
the cohousing communities I'm visiting over the coming months. My first
Coho/US-sponsored tour is on the West Coast - in about 2 weeks. Some evening
meetings are already set up in different West Coast Cohousing communities -
if you are interested in your Built Community hosting a
presentation/conversation entiteld, Our Cohousing Movement, over the next
year, please Reply Off-line - I'll be traveling a fair amount with laptop &
projector (as well as cookies & juice - grin). We can schedule visits far in
advance if it works for you - and that is more helpful to me as I arrange
travel plans.

Anyway, thanks to Sharon's rapid response, here's a new, improved version of
my earlier questions:

1. What is your community's name and move-in date? Did you built-out your
residences all at once or in phases?

2. Have you regularly done outreach since move-in? Have you had a need to
steadily recruited new members, or has this been a relatively rare event?

3. What do you think about this "honeymoon effect" idea - a turning inward
after move-in? Is your perception that it helps describe your community and
its history?

4a. If NO, could you provide a better description of an "initial phase" of
your life together?

4b. If YES, do you perceive that that your group has shifted from this over
time - or does it seem to describe your current state? If useful in
describing your community, and that early phase is now past, how might you
describe where you are now? Any ideas about how you transitioned away from
it? If you are in this state, how do you feel about it?

For context, most of the communities I'm visiting on the West Coast were
built out all-at-once, in a single phase. Some have had high turn-over, some
have been very stable. A few members of communities I'm visiting have asked
me to suggest ideas about how they might break out of their early phase,
which some of their members hope to "get beyond."

I also want to publically thank the woman who responded to this off-line...
your heart-felt sharing was helpful. I always welcome private responses if
you'd prefer to keep your thoughts private. I am good at keeping challenging
situations confidential, without attribution, and your insights can be most
helpful as I endeavor to serve.

Craig

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Sharon Villines <sharon [at]
sharonvillines.com

--
Craig Ragland

Coho/US executive director
http://www.cohousing.org
craig [at] cohousing.org

Please try email first, include your phone number (w/time zone) - or give me
a call: 425-487-3550 (Pacific)... communicate!