Re: Cohousing Communities after move-in: A "honeymoon" phase?
From: balaji (balajiouraynet.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:45:42 -0700 (PDT)
Craig,

In my meetings with cohousing groups in this country and abroad, I have
often heard people remark on the phenomonenon you mention.  I don't find
"insularity" surprising, since any village, anywhere, will tend to become
self-referential as its cohesion or solidarty increases.  And here's a
prediction for you:  cohousing groups will overcome their insularity by
forming alliances with each other, creating networks of villages related
by ties both economic and social.  Indeed, in some places, this is already
happening.

The immediate downside, as you say, is that decreasing emphasis on public
relations can impair future sales prospects when units turnover.  I have
heard of this happening, too, and quite often. The first obvious symptom
is a deteriorating website that is infrequently updated or poorly
designed.

Your survey will yield important results, and I hope you will make them
public on this list.

Regards,

Charles W. Nuckolls
Utah Valley Commons