Re: Cohousing Communities after move-in: A "honeymoon" phase?
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 07:38:21 -0700 (PDT)
A few thoughts on this:

1- To me it seems that after move in there is often an exhaustion phase, especially if it's a community that worked long and hard to get itself built. It's also the time that people try to figure out how to make their houses the way they want them; work on establishing their back yards, perhaps,
and so on.

2- After move in, there is quite a long period of (community members) adjusting to being each other's neighbors. I remember this as being a really tough time. I think people bring their own expectations, and then reality sets in - which is invariably different, and requires that people figure out how to get it to work for them. In some cases they figure out that it doesn't and they leave - but this usually takes time. So, a lot of energy is being spent on learning and adjusting in regards to other community members, and the community as a whole. This doesn't necessarily leave time and energy to do all the connecting to the larger community that some might have
envisioned ahead of time.
This doesn't mean that there are no cases where these connections occur - I'd assume that if there is (at least) one community member who is really passionate about it, and leads the way, this might still happen. That's true, though, regarding all coho projects - there are millions of good ideas that stay in the realm of ideas. For anything to materialize it takes someone who is ready to lead (teach, encourage, inspire, etc.) - and of course it needs to be an idea that resonates with a number of others...

3- Should we judge established communities by their websites? - Not all communities have someone who is interested in this, and a great website isn't a basic requirement for a good community/meaningful
community life.
(This is different from communities in the making, where one would think a decent website would be
such an important tool for reaching new people/potential new members).

Racheli, Sonora Cohousing, Tucson.