Re: Cohousing Communities after move-in: A "honeymoon" phase?
From: Larry Miller (larry.millercharter.net)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:55:19 -0700 (PDT)
1. A change in focus after move in seemed very natural for us. During much of
construction,
there were 3 main areas for the group to address: selling the unsold units,
monitoring the
construction process, and building a cohesive group. Once all units were sold
and construction
was completed, focus shifted to learning to live together and projects that
were perceived as
necessary but not done during construction. While units remained unsold, the
outside world
focus, including a well maintained website, was a necessity not a choice if the
community was to
be financially sound. The "folk knowledge" was highly accurate for us.

2. As the community matured and the number of outstanding projects and issues
declined, our
collective focus expanded to include the outside world, but in a different
sense. Issues of
global warming and sustainability resonated with a number of community members
and a variety of
outreach programs in these areas were developed by various groups. This has
also included
involvement in the local political scene.

3.  It would be difficult to characterize our community as either inward or
outward focused.
There are aspects of both. Some of our members are primarily inward focused,
some put
considerable energy into outward oriented efforts, and some are balanced
between the two. It
did, however, take 2 - 3 years before the focus expanded from being primarily
inward. I would
attribute the shift as simply a matter of limited energy and priorities. As
long as there were
major community projects and issues to work through, that was where most of the
energy went. The
outward expansion largely occurred when there was energy left over.

Our web site is minimally maintained simply because we have minimal need for
it. Our outreach,
while quite extensive, is done by those who are interested in outreach, not by
the community as
a whole.

Oak Creek Commons was completed in mid 2004. All units were sold prior to
completion.

Larry Miller
Oak Creek Commons