Re: Mixed-income Cohousing
From: Marganne Meyer (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 03:43:39 -0700 (PDT)
At 7:10 PM -0500 8/16/08, Joelyn Malone wrote:
See my earlier post on the small (450 sq ft or less) units available at Monterey Cohousing. By use of the Co-op organizational structure and financing, we were able to make it possible for our several low-income households (and one that just wanted the simplicity) to buy into Monterey without outside subsidies and without those households feeling that others had to pay more than their fair share in order to make it work for everybody

I'm very interested in hearing more about your co-op as I'm in Sacramento where the same rules probably apply.

What is the market price of your small units? Ballpark? Is it similar to the ones I've posted recently to this list (well under $50,000)? If so, how would the people where you live feel if one of these small, low-cost cottages was proposed for your co-op? (I'm making a wild assumption that none of your units in Monterey sell for anywhere less than $200,000+, even for a 450 square foot unit. I'd be happy to be proved wrong on this.) :-)

Cheers!
Marganne