Re: question about resurfacing decks
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:34:54 -0700 (PDT)
Trex and similar products are very functional, long-lasting 'fake' wood decking products. Depends on the degree of 'fake' you can tolerate. It does look like real wood (embossed grain etc.) and real wood decking can look bad after a while without maintenance. A word of caution though. Trex and its ilk are individual boards (2x4, 2x6, etc) and so won't provide any waterproofing. They are good when spaced 1/4" or so apart and water can run through to the earth below. But for a second floor balcony deck with living space below, another waterproof membrane is needed. (At least I'm not aware of any Trex products that are larger sheets like plywood. If there are I stand corrected.) To the original questioner, I haven't had experience with products that provide a waterproof 'skin' over plywood, so I can't be of assistance. I'm not sure if your plywood deck is over a habitable area, but if it is , a liquid applied 'skin' over the plywood is not the best way of waterproofing because of the joints in the plywood. A better alternative is a continuous waterproof membrane (with no joints) over the plywood and then a finish walking surface material on top of that.
Many ways to skin a cat -good luck
James