Re: question about resurfacing decks
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:26:38 -0700 (PDT)
As an architect, my first impression is that Marks suggestions are correct, but you are also correct Kay in that the detailing is critical. The theory is simple. The sheet roofing, rubber, EPDM or similar waterproof membrane will last for years (decades even) but must incorporate a slight slope (1/4" to 1'-0" is recommended minimum), leading the water away from any walls roofs etc. to a place where it can drain away. Then another part of the simple theory is that there must be no penetrations of the membrane. The floating wood decking that Mark refers to must not be nailed through the membrane, have sharp edges or block the water from flowing to a drainage point. Its a tricky thing to design properly and the best advice while planning is to avoid these situations. But if the design warrants a flat deck over a living space, it can be done but be super vigilant about the detailing. A coating over the plywood helps if it is the right product, but should never be counted on as the line of defence to keep water out (due to joints in the plywood eventually opening up, cracking etc.) Marks suggestions are the more appropriate method IMHO.
James