Re: Non-standardized houses?
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:58:47 -0700 (PDT)
Some suggest that lot model cohousing developments is far easier to create,
as they require much less agreement on the thousands of specifics required
to build housing using production methods.

I believe that they might also support a wider ranges of economic
capabilities of the residents, e.g. Rob's community, Sharingwood, has some
very expensive and some very inexpensive private homes. They do mean that
the family wanting to live there has the capability of building a custom
home... something that very few people do in America, although many aspire
to.

Songaia briefly considered using a lot model, but we decided that we wanted
a more integrated look and feel. An architectural theme that brings us
together, rather than being expressions of individual differences. We may
have "cookie-cutter" homes, but we are far from a "cookie-cutter" community
despite our choice to build out, all-at-once, using professionals to get us
out of an extended construction phase and I suspect that few of our current
residents would have taken on building custom homes for themselves.

I think both are useful approaches, but am clear thy have significant
implications for a Forming Community - on quite a large number of
dimensions. Same thing for Retro-fit Cohousing.

I have observed that many lot-model communities have had a lot of empty lots
or ongoing construction projects for many years... which is either a good or
bad thing, depending on what the community and individuals want for itself.

Craig