Re: community-wide retreats
From: Kristin Wells (cbuilderddgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:05:40 -0700 (PDT)

> > I would also love to hear about retreats that communities have gone on,
> > before move-in.  Cost, where did you go, what did you do, did most people
> > come?

I'm with Daybreak Cohousing. We just broke ground and are a little over a
year from move-in. We're about to go on our 2nd official annual retreat. The
first year we were together most of us went on a 3 or 4-day rafting trip,
but it wasn't an official retreat. Last year was at an eco-village a couple
hours away that has a retreat center. Costs were relatively low and there
were options for sleeping arrangements which varied the costs.
Unfortunately, we got rained out, so those that were planning on camping to
save a little dough, ended up staying in the lodge anyway.

Our intent is to not do any business on our retreats, but focus on
connecting deeper. All the activities are optional, but most of the planned
ones had high if not 100% attendance. We did some games and activities, an
evening song time, ate meals together (which were prepared and cleaned up
after for us - nice to have so we can focus on hanging out together and not
working), and there was lots of down time. Some people went on hikes.

This year is at a more defined retreat center, a little more expensive
(about $100/adult for two nights and 5 meals), but closer to home (about a
45 min. drive). We'll also have a pool available to us and a campfire at
night.

We only have a few kids thus far. Last year we only had one and she was a
year old, and has always participated as part of the group. This year we
have a brand new baby, a 4-year old and a teenager as well, so we'll see how
that participation goes. Since the games, and activities are pretty loose,
fun, and inclusive, I think we'll all stay together again, with escapes for
naps as needed.

 Our retreat last year was fabulous and I expect this year's to be too. I
think for communities that don't yet live together, it's a great time to be
able to focus on being together, get to know each other on a deeper level,
and in an environment where you don't have to worry about time. I've been
looking forward to ours for months! It's also a really great way to get to
know prospective members better and have them get to know you. We've invited
prospective members to both our retreats.

Good luck with your retreat and I hope you find them as wonderful as we
have!

--
Kristin Wells
Daybreak Cohousing, LLC