Re: Non-standardized houses?
From: Joelyn Malone (JKMalonecomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:20:13 -0700 (PDT)
We are unfortunately coping with competing accessibility issues right now. We have many members that have asthma and allergies, and we've worked toward getting the main house/commons house free of allergens (remember, this is a huge 1924 building we are talking about!).

Now we have a potential new owner who needs a service dog, to be with her most of the time. She would be shut out of Commons House activities if we continued to prioritize the people with allergies. While the new person's dog is one of the "allergy-free" breeds, one of our members has broken out in hives when being around that breed. She feels allowing the service dog in common space would completely shut her out of use of the Commons. This isn't a light matter, as the new buyer lives in Georgia and left her dog in Georgia for this visit (Is handling her disability with medications right now, but that's not a long-term solution.) So we can't just have the allergic person spend time with the dog to see if it would work. We've thought of "dividing up the common space", but that would exclude one or the other from community meals. And in this old building, air flow is such that anything in the building is most likely to be everywhere in the building.

Solutions, ideas, anyone?