Re: Very Quick Question - Cohousing Research Funding
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:15:24 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Tom,

This is similar to how Songaia funds our special community projects, that
is, our project funding is completely independent from our operating budget.
While monthly assessments for the operating budget are required of all
members, we fund projects using both earmarked and general "donations."
Project funding is done only by those who are willing and able to provide
money on top of their monthly assessment.

This has resulted in a steadily growing pool of money that we call our
"Abundance Fund." Some members choose to fund just specific projects,
putting earmarked money into the fund as part of the project's approval
process - using the Decision Board concept that we learned about from
Sharingwood Cohousing (our closest Built Cohousing neighbor). Others, myself
included, don't fund specific projects, but put money into the fund on a
monthly basis without earmarking. I trust the Songaia decision process to
continue yielding good-enough decisions about what to fund and how to use
the fund's non-earmarked monies. The combination of ear-marked support, and
our general Abundance Fund balance, means that funding for any specific
project is rarely an issue here.

Since assuming the Exec Dir role, I've started managing Coho/US normal costs
similar to how our community's operating budget works - both Songaia and
Coho/US keeps our monthly, recurring costs as low as is reasonable. Coho/US
funds specific, well-defined and budgeted projects for measurable
deliverables on top of our operating budget. I think, without realizing it,
that we are set up to administer earmarked donations exactly as you suggest.
A recent staffing change has resulted in the two bookkeepers that handle
Songaia's budget also job-share the Coho/US bookkeeper role.

I'll discuss your idea with the Coho/US Core staff and board.

Thank you very much,
Craig