Non-standardized houses?
From: Bruce McKinney (brucegreensilverlinings.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:04:34 -0700 (PDT)
No one from The Commons in Santa Fe seems to be speaking up on their
experience with the lot model. I don't know it from the inside, but I was
very impressed seeing it as a visitor. I was told that different architects
designed the houses according to the owners' specification. Yet they all
seemed to have a common theme without looking the same. They must have had
really good architectural guidelines. Unfortunately they were built out so
long ago that no one seemed to be able to find the guidelines documents. If
anyone on this forum knows more about how this worked I'd like to hear.

On the other hand I believe The Commons was relatively expensive (as is
everything in Santa Fe). I've heard over and over that standardization is a
way to cut costs.

Bruce McKinney
Silver City Eco-Community (forming in Silver City, New Mexico)