Re: competing special needs
From: Mariana Almeida (missmgrrlyahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:27:10 -0700 (PDT)
I am someone with pet dander allergies, and I would steamed with I suddenly had
to face this in the common house! I already avoid visiting of neighbors in
their homes (all but 4 of neighbors have pets). I would find it unacceptable to
have this animal in the common house and would lobby vigorously to have it not
happen.
That being said, I have researched how to mitigate the effects of dander, at it
is possible. It's costly, time consuming and not a sure bet.

It involves:
frequent washing of animal
frequent washing of all carpets, floors, furniture, walls (yes, you have to
wash the walls)
minimizing or removal of any stuffed furniture
special products sprayed on stuffed furniture to de-activate the pet dander.
You would probably need to pay a housecleaner for the common house to do this
cleaning at least weekly, if not more. You may end up doing this and STILL have
the common house be uninhabitable by allergic people. Good product are here:
http://www.allergycontrol.com/
A consideration: how many people have dander allergies vs. the needs of one.
Per year, how many trips to the doctor will the allergic people now need to
have due to asthma and allergies? How will their health be compromised due to
the needs of  this new owner? (Mine would be.) If all the allergic people move
out, and how the animal is allowed the common house, how will this affect
future resale to allergic people? Just thinking ahead here, but it's not that
far fetched.
Hey, this gets my dander up! Ha ha ha!
Mariana
Berkeley cohousing, Calif.