Re: What is co-housing really?
From: Richard L Kohlhaas (rlkohlearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:05:26 -0700 (PDT)
At Casa Verde, we too agonized while we were forming and trying to recruit
enough members to make the project possible.  We wanted economic, racial,
ethnic and class diversity, but did not make it 100%.

I recall an observation about cohousers that they are "over-educated,
underemployed professionals", which may not be too much of an exaggeration.

Cohousing demographics are similar to that of many Unitarian Universalist
churches.  There was an item on the recent NPR Prairie Home Companion annual
joke show  which may apply to some cohousing communities as well:

Q.  What's an example of diversity at the Unitarian church?
A.  Three different colors of Subarus in the parking lot.

Dick Kohlhaas <rlkohl [at] earthlink.net>
(719)633-8170
Colorado Springs (Colorado) Cohousing Community (Casa Verde Commons)
Completed March 2003. 34 units on 4 acres 1.5 mi from downtown. We have a
few resales available.   Visit us at http://www.casaverde.us)