What is diversity really? [Was What is co-housing really?]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 06:15:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 29, 2008, at 8:05 PM, Richard L Kohlhaas wrote:

Q.  What's an example of diversity at the Unitarian church?
A.  Three different colors of Subarus in the parking lot.

One of the makers people believe indicates diversity is skin color. Another is income level (which can be achieved with little if any social diversity).

But there are many other kinds of diversity -- the ones that are not visible.

What about political diversity? Has anyone gone out and recruited a conservative Republican recently? An Army Colonel? In terms of personal growth and learning tolerance this would be much more of a challenge than dealing with wide income differences.

What is the point of diversity?

What is it? What are it's benefits?

I'm not being critical of anything said, only raising the question. Do we know what the aims of "diversity" are? How we know if we have it or not? And if we did have it, what would the benefits be?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Sociocracy, a Deeper Democracy