Re: What is co-housing really?
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizverizon.net)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:11:14 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Kim, you expressed my answer really well.

At Mosaic the main thing we have in common is that we all want to live with neighbors we know. We all want to make the effort to create community.

Other affinities have arisen, so our homes going to be very green.
I knew nothing of VOC and chemical sensitivities, but I'm proud to say I'm going to live in a community that prioritized that, and therefore some people can live in our community that would have had trouble otherwise.

Gotta say also that one of the disadvantages of creating community is that it is made up of people, and you know, people make a lot of mistakes. Wrong choices, forgotten details.

So we said it was a top priority to have 100% visitable units for people with disabilities. But then it was cheaper to stack the flats, so we have two units that require stairs. Little exception to our values. Two doorways were hitting each other, switched so bathroom door opens in. But that makes them not accessible. Mid construction switch is expensive, we'll have to discuss what to do. One basement raised the porch more than the planned height of the porch. We'll have to add a ramp. Beautiful 10 inçh walls for super-insulation means the entry door jamb is taller than allowed for access. Very cute little mini ramp added outside each door. Planned on gas fireplace in the common house because of wood allergies. But then ordered the wrong one... it's wood with a gas upgrade. And then all of those little fixes cost money, which come from the buyers. We met our desire for income diversity by splitting the cost of affordable units among us. Adding more cost for the fixes could price some of our market rate owners out. Not doing the fixes doesn't match our values.

But the reason we are together is to make community. And community sticks together through these hard choices. We argue and disagree, and work on it some more. We make some decisions with great process, and others with not so great process.
But because we want community, we keep on keeping on.

What is cohousing, really? I haven't moved in yet, maybe I'm naive. But so far, its a group of people that are willing to do the work to balance our values, our concerns, our individual needs, and our fears with our priority to really connect to other people. The problem with other people is that they don't all agree with me. But the advantage of community is we can talk about it and find a way to stay together.

-Liz
Elizabeth M. Magill
PastorLiz [at] verizon.net
Mosaic Commons: where affordable and market rate homes still available.
Come make community with me in Berlin, MA!
www.sawyerhill.org 508-450-0431