Re: Wikis and Cohousing Website Members Area
From: Joelyn Malone (JKMalonecomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 22:19:10 -0700 (PDT)
John Faust wrote:

"Actually, I would envision there would be a relatively small number on this listserv who (if they understand wikis and were not too burned out) would be able and inclined to move a discussion from dialogue form to document form." I think the absolute biggest barrier is the steep learning curve for wiki editing. Very few have the motivation to spend the time and endure the frustration learning this, yet another skill that they probably won't use enough to remember how to do it from one time to the next. (Can you tell that I've had a go at it and threw my hands in the air at a pretty early stage?) Maybe some of you who are in the know about this can point us neophytes to an easy learning tool. I'd say I would give it 20 minutes; if I couldn't learn in that amount of time I would have forgotten what it was I wanted to communicate, and lost the motivation to continue. If there's an easy way to break through this barrier, there would be a lot more people interested in joining in. Also - I lost the tread of this - we are talking about building on the current Cohousing section of the IC wiki, are we not? I don't think it makes sense to have an entirely separate cohousing wiki when the IC one is much more likely to be visited by all kinds of people interested in what they can learn from the cohousing model.
Joelyn Malone,
Monterey Cohousing Community